Godly Women Need Godly Women: I am so blessed!

Today as I was leaving work I got a message from my older sister that our 96 year old Grandmother was in the hospital with pneumonia.  Fortunately, I work within a few miles of the hospital so I was able to stop by on my way home.  As I stood in the room talking with my Grandma, Uncle, Aunts, and cousin, I was taken with the thought that I am tremendously blessed.  Many people my age have already lost their parents and I would say most no longer have living Grandparents.  I grew up not only having a relationship with all of my Grandparents but I was blessed enough to know two of my Great Grandmothers.  But that is not where the blessings stop (obviously).  My now 96 year old grandmother, was a huge part of my life growing up and it was she who was a leading force when it came to my relationship to Christ.

My grandmother made sure my brother, sister, and myself went to church during our childhood.  It was grandma who took us to Vacation Bible School and taught us to say thanks before we enjoyed the food God provided.  Because my parents did not attend church, I probably would have never known the Lord if not for Grandma.

Beyond taking me to church, my Grandma and Grandpa gave me the best example of what an enduring marriage in Christ looked like.  No, they were not a picture perfect couple, no couple is, but they endured so much and still remained happily married until Grandpa passed away eight years ago. And the things I learned from my Grandmother are the exact reason why godly women, need godly women.  In Titus 2: 3-5, the Apostle Paul gives this direction to "older" women of God, concerning the younger generation:

"Older women1 likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled."  

Look closely at the second sentence.  Paul is telling the older generation that it is their job to "teach what is good, and so train the young women."  Paul statement may not be easy for many young women in today's society to swallow.  Many young women today think that the ways of the older generation are antiquated and too conservative, however, truly godly young women will recognize that older godly women are more grounded in Biblical truth, which is exactly what God wants them to pass on to us.  We need to learn what God intends for us.  Yes, the world may consider this old fashioned and conservative, but God's word and the way He desires us to live are timeless.  In God's Word is the true answer to domestic happiness and contentment as a godly woman.  

I guess the point of this post is two fold.  On one hand, I want to recognize how truly blessed I have been to have my Grandmother, and many other Christian women, as an example of godliness in my life.  On the other hand, I want to share the importance of being "teachable" to other young women in Christ.  We need other godly women to teach us how to be truly godly women and we need to embrace that teaching.  Most importantly though, we must PRAISE GOD for those women who come along side of us to do just that TEACH US GOD's WAYS! I only pray that I am an example of a godly woman to younger Christian women around me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My journey through depression.

Politics: How Christians are reacting is NOT how God wants us to.

Where is the Hope: Words to Bereaved Parents.